Holidays and Leave
- Exempt: One additional personal holiday per calendar year.
- Full-Time Faculty: Two additional personal holidays per academic year (July-June), per the terms of Article VI of the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Classified: One additional personal holiday per calendar year (January-December), and two personal leave days per fiscal year (July-June) of the contract, per the life of the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) 2015-2017.
- Exempt: Employees accrue two days (16 hours) per calendar month of completed service. There is no waiting period to use vacation. Annual leave may be accumulated to a maximum of thirty working days (240 hours).
- Classified: Employees should review the CBA for accrual rate and maximum. Vacation can be used after six months of continuous service. Upon leaving employment and with adequate notice, vacation leave is entirely paid out if the probationary period is completed.
- Sick leave accrues at a rate of eight hours (prorated for less than full-time permanent employees) per month for full-time exempt, classified, and full-time faculty.
- Part-time faculty accrue compensable sick leave at a rate of FTEF X eight hours/month. For those less than 100% FTE, accrual is pro-rated.
- Employees can use leave as it accrues but may not use leave prior to accrual. Examples of appropriate sick leave use are: illness, disability, injury, serious medical emergency of family member, and medical/dental appointment.
Employees can obtain sick or vacation leave donations from other employees of the college if he/she is entirely out of leave and has a qualifying medical condition. An employee can donate any sick leave above a 176 hour minimum balance, or vacation leave above an 80 hour minimum balance.
Federal law entitles full-time employees up to 12 weeks of paid or unpaid leave with paid health insurance benefits. The employee must obtain required medical certification to be eligible. He/she must have been employed at least 12 months and have worked 1,250 hours to qualify. The qualifying events are: an employee’s serious health condition; care for parent, child, or spouse with serious health condition; care of a member of the armed services returning from a war engagement zone; and care for newborn, adopted, or foster child.
Other leave types include:
Civil duty leave, child care emergencies, parental leave, military leave, bereavement leave, and leave without pay (LWOP).
Exempt employees can use accrued sick leave, vacation leave, or leave without pay for child or parental care or bereavement, and professional leave (study, research, civic opportunities). Exempt employees may also use up to five days of study leave each calendar year (January through December). Unused study leave does not carry forward from year to year.
Classified employees: See Articles 12 and 18 of the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) 2015-2017 for specific details on these leave types.