Syllabus Component Examples
Course Mode Examples:
- ENERGY MANAGEMENT 101, HYBRID
- This is a hybrid course
- ENGL& 101, ONLINE COURSE
Other Contact Information Examples:
- Online Office Hours: Thursdays 8 to 9 p.m.
- Instructor is available via email and phone. Expect to receive a response within 24 hours Monday through Friday. OR The best way to contact me is by email. When you email me, please type ENRGY 102 in the subject area.
Access to the Computer and the Internet Examples:
- This class requires access to an eLearning course site: You can use your own computer or a computer on campus. There are 400 computers on the Edmonds CC campus available for students. See www.edcc.edu/library and students.edcc.edu/acs/facilities.html for the location of campus computers.
- Textbooks and supplementary books have been placed in the Library Reserves.
Certificate and Degree Outcomes Link Example:
This course is part of a certificate or a degree. Outcomes for Edmonds Community College degrees and certificates can be found in the online college catalog (http://catalog.edcc.edu) at the bottom of each degree or certificate. To find specific outcomes, click on the Degrees and Certificates link and select a program from the list.
Course Mode Examples:
- Online Description: This is an online course. Classroom time is replaced by content and activities that take place in a managed online classroom (eLearning class). However, the contact hours are flexible and assignments and communication can take place at home or any place with a computer and Internet access. Generally, online classes do not require campus visits (unless stated here). For more information about taking an online class, visit www.edcc.edu/eLearning.
- Hybrid Description: This is a hybrid course. A hybrid course is a combination of traditional classroom activities as well as online instruction. Some classroom time is replaced by content and activities that take place in a managed online eLearning classroom. For more information about taking a class a Hybrid course, visit www.edcc.edu/eLearning.
- eLearning Enhanced Description: This class is supplemented with an eLearning class website. Those resources include the following...
- Students can access those resources at (Canvas, or URL). For more information about eLearning classes, visit www.edcc.edu/eLearning.
- Student Technical Support: Contact START at www.edcc.edu/eLearning or 425.640.1101.
Assignments and Grading
Assessment and Grading Component Examples:
Reference to eLearning: Exact assignments and point distribution information is located in the eLearning course. Due dates are also indicated with the ASSIGNMENT.
|Reading assignments from the textbook||(50 points)|
|Reading assignments from online articles and websites||(30 points)|
|Attendance (10 points—1 point for each on campus class)||(10 points)|
eLearning participation: Points are earned by: eLearning (30 points) class participation,
including Discussion Board posting
|A group project||(40 points)|
|Quizzes (4)||(40 points)|
|Final exam||(40 points)|
Points will be earned for each of four areas: Two research papers,(30 points each), one group project (30 points), and one final exam (10 points). The rubrics for each of these areas are located within each assignment in the eLearning class site.
Course Expectations for a Hybrid or an Online Course Example:
- Submit all assignments online by Sunday evening at midnight Pacific time.
- Send all assignments to my email address.
- Ensure your name is on your assignment at the top of the first page.
- Check the eLearning course site at least every 24 hours.
- I will return email messages within 24 hours, usually much sooner.
- I will grade and return all assignments within seven days.
- I will monitor the discussion board on a daily basis.
- I will post all grades and points on the eLearning course student grade book.
Communications Plan Information Example
If inclement weather prevents me from getting to campus (and the college is open), I will leave a message on my voice mail (provide your phone number) and/or an announcement in our eLearning class and/or send you an email message and/or leave a message with our division staff (provide phone number). I will try to get this information to you as early as possible so you don't come to campus and find that the class has been canceled. However, be sure to check the college's website to see if the college is closed and all classes are canceled.