Creating Your Syllabus
Each quarter faculty need to develop a syllabus for each class they teach, submit the syllabus to the college Syllabus Upload and make the syllabus available for students. This website provides all the information you will need to complete the syllabus process. The process for developing a syllabus includes:
- Review the Required Components, the Examples, and the Syllabus Template.
- Develop your syllabus by completing the Syllabus Template or closely following it as you create your own syllabus.
- Upload your syllabus (this is required every quarter) at https://app.edcc.edu/syllabi. (For instructions, click on the link below the Login button.)
- Post your syllabus to your eLearning course or other web-based site. The college has made a commitment to sustainability which can be seen in our values (www.edcc.edu/about/mission.html); please limit hard copy distribution of your syllabus, if possible.
For additional information about these components, see component examples.
- Quarter, Year course is offered (Example: Fall, 2014)
- Number of Credits
- Time, Class Days, or Course Mode:
- Class Times and Days, or
- Online Course, or
- Hybrid Course with assigned meeting times, or
- Online Course with meeting times.
- Course Description: Enter the catalog course description from Edmonds CC Catalog:(full URL: http://catalog.edcc.edu).
- Prerequisites: (if applicable).
- Instructor Name.
- Office Hours: (if applicable).
- Office Location: (if applicable).
- Phone: Your Edmonds CC phone number.
- Email: Your Edmonds CC email address.
- Best Way to Contact You: Describe your preferred means of communication (Edmonds CC email, Canvas, Edmonds CC phone) and when students should expect a response.
- Textbook Information: Title, Author, Publisher, Date of Publication, and ISBN number.
- Edmonds CC Bookstore: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/bookstore)
- Required and/or Optional Materials: (This could include a computer and access to the Internet, books on reserve in the library, a calculator, etc.)
- Computer Resources: Computers are available in a wide variety of locations across campus. The campus also has a wireless network available for students. See a list of computer facilities (full URL: http://students.edcc.edu/acs/facilities.html) for a complete list of locations and resources, and see START (full URL: www.edcc.edu/eLearning) for student technical assistance.
- List all official Course-level Learning Objectives (CLOs). Course-level Learning Objectives (CLOs) for all courses are in the course descriptions in the online academic catalog, (full URL http://catalog.edcc.edu). You may list additional CLOs, but only in addition to the official objectives.
- Certificate and Degree (Program-level) Learning Outcomes (PLOs). This course is part of a certificate or a degree and assesses student achievement of these specific outcomes:
Outcomes for Edmonds Community College degrees and certificates can be found in the online college catalog (full URL: http://catalog.edcc.edu) embedded within each degree or certificate. To find specific outcomes, click on the Degrees and Certificates link and select a program from the list.
Use one of these samples to describe the mode of your course:
- Online Course Sample Description: This is an online course. Classroom time is replaced by content and activities that take place in a managed online classroom (eLearning class). However, the contact hours are flexible and assignments and communication can take place at home or any place with a computer and Internet access. Generally, online classes do not require campus visits (unless stated here). Visit eLearning (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/eLearning) for more information about taking an online class.
- Hybrid Course Sample Description: This is a hybrid course. A hybrid course is a combination of traditional classroom activities as well as online instruction. Some classroom time is replaced by content and activities that take place in a managed online eLearning classroom. (Describe specific meeting times and activities as well as expectations for online activities). Visit eLearning (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/eLearning) for more information about taking a class a Hybrid course.
- eLearning Enhanced Sample Description: This class is supplemented with an eLearning class website. Those resources include the following:
Assignments and Grading
- Assessment Criteria and Grading Policies. Explain how grades will be determined and what assessment criteria and rubrics will be used, including information on class attendance and participation.
- Attendance Policy (if attendance is graded).
- Make-up or Late Work (if applicable).
- Policy on V and I Grades (if applicable) These can be found in the online college catalog (http://catalog.edcc.edu) on the Academic Requirements page, under Student Grades.
- Policy on S, U, and N Grades (if applicable) These can be found in the online college catalog (http://catalog.edcc.edu) on the Academic Requirements page, under Student Grades.
- Plagiarism Reference (if applicable). Reference Information
- Institutional Withdrawal Policy.
- Please see the Student Rights, Freedoms and Responsibilities (full URL: http://catalog.edcc.edu/content.php?catoid=23&navoid=6810) at Edmonds Community College. This document includes Guidelines for Student Conduct and information on disciplinary procedures.
Statement on Academic Integrity
Edmonds CC students shall demonstrate Academic Integrity. I am expected to report all violations of Academic Integrity (academic dishonesty, cheating, plagiarism, and unauthorized collaboration) to the College. The College's database of such incidents will be monitored by the Office of the Vice President for Student Services. Data will be maintained for three years. Evidence of repeat incidents will result in additional action by the Office of the Vice President for Student Services as governed by the Student Code of Conduct. In this class, cheating and plagiarism will result in an assignment or grade penalty ranging from (insert minimum penalty here) to (insert maximum penalty here). A second incident in this class will result in an assignment or grade penalty ranging from (insert minimum penalty here—must be at least a zero on the assessment) to (insert maximum penalty here).
Final Exam and Last Meeting of Class
- Date and time of the required final exam or class meeting (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/calendar/exams/default.html) during Finals Weeks.
Services for Students With Disabilities
- If you require an accommodation for a disability, please contact Services for Students with Disabilities (full URL: http://students.edcc.edu/ssd/default.html) at MLT 159, 425.640.1320 or email@example.com.
- What can students expect of you as an instructor and what do students need to know and to be successful in your class? Describe how you will manage your class as well as your vision for student success in your class.
- If this is an online or hybrid course, you should include the following, "Successful completion of student responsibilities in this class requires online access to Canvas. You are expected to login to your online classroom at least XX times per week for a minimum of XX hours. Instructions for access to Canvas and student technical support is located at START (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/online/start.)"
- Academic Calendar (full URL:http://www.edcc.edu/calendar/academic.html)
- Advising: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/advising)
- Center for Student Engagement and Leadership: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/csel)
- College Policies and Procedures: (full URL: http://catalog.edcc.edu)
- Counseling and Resource Center: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/counseling)
- Diversity Student Center: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/dsc)
- eLearning Information: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/elearning)
- Enrollment Services: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/es)
- Learning Support Center (Tutoring): (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/lsc)
- Library, including online resources: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/library)
- Services for Students with Disabilities: (full URL: whttp://www.edcc.edu/ssd)
- Student Printing Guidelines: (full URL: http://students.edcc.edu/acs/printing)
- Student Support Resources: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/support)
- TRIO: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/trio)
- Title IX and Gender Discrimination: (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/titleix/what-is-titleix/definitions/gender-discrimination.html)
- Include a College Closure/Delayed Opening Notification Statement: You can sign up
to receive email or text notifications of college closures or delayed openings due
to weather or other emergencies at FlashAlert Newswire & Messenger (full URL: http://www.flashalert.net).
Include your plan for communication in the event of inclement weather or similar event.
- List last day to withdraw, final exam day, and registration openings for the coming quarters at Edmonds CC Academic Calendar (full URL: http://www.edcc.edu/calendar/academic)
- List important dates and milestones for course, including tentative assignment due dates, exams, and other class activities.
- Please see the Department Chair for other information and specific criteria for your Department.