Canvas Supporting Information
The information on this page is updated each quarter and will provide details that will help support your activities within Canvas.
Canvas updates their software every three weeks, these updates fix bugs, provide enhancements and/or add new features, find out about the latest and greatest features in Canvas.
Canvas Course Cross-Listing
Teaching multiple sections of a course from a single course shell in Canvas is called cross-listing.
- Cross-listing is a decision that you should make before the term starts.
- Courses should not be cross-listed once students have started activity, because activity and grades in the dependent classes will be lost.
- Once student activity occurs in cross-listed courses, it is not advised to undo cross-listing as student activity and grades will be lost.
Please wait until your courses have appeared in Canvas before making your cross-listing request. To verify that the courses are available in Canvas follow these steps:
- Click on Courses
- Click on All Courses
- Review the list of courses.
Use the Canvas Cross-List Request Form to submit a list of courses to be cross-listed. Requests can take up to 24 hours (or one business day).
Canvas Term Dates
Term Dates are set at the account level and apply to all courses associated with a specific term by default. If your course follows the normal quarterly start and end date cycle, these dates will be applied automatically to your course and require no further action on your behalf.
For courses that do not follow the normal quarterly start and end date cycle, instructors can override these dates at the course level within the Course Settings page.
Caution: adjustments to your course start and end dates will impact student access and participation.
Winter 2017 - SIS ID: W17
- Term Runs from Jan. 3, 2017 to March 18, 2017
- Students can access from Dec. 26 to March 31, 2017
- Students can participate from Jan. 3, 2017 to March 18, 2017
- Teachers can access from Nov. 14 to March 18, 2019
- TAs can access from Jan. 3, 2017 to March 24, 2017
- Designers can access from Nov. 14 to March 18, 2017
Spring 2017 - SIS ID: S17
- Term Runs from Apr. 3, 2017 12 a.m. to June 17, 2017 12 a.m.
- Students can access from March 27, 2017 to June 30, 2017
- Students can participate from Apr. 3, 2017 to June 17, 2017
- Teachers can access from March 6, 2017 to June 30, 2019
- TAs can access from Apr. 3, 2017 to June 17, 2017
- Designers can access from March 6, 2017 to June 17, 2017
Integrated into Canvas
The following apps have been integrated within Canvas and are available for use with any course.
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Barnes and Noble Bookstore Purchase (students)
- Barnes and Noble Bookstore Research (faculty)
- Canvas Commons
- Cengage Learning (MindLinks)
- Flat World Knowledge
- Macmillan (Launch Pad)
- McGraw Hill Campus (NEW)
- MH Campus (Previous Version)
- Panopto Recordings
- Pearson (MyLab and Mastering)
- Roll Call (Attendance)
- UDOIT (Accessibility tool)
Contact the TRC with your questions about Canvas extensions, term dates or new releases.