Holidays and Leave
Edmonds CC offers a generous holiday and leave package for full-time employees. They are summarized below. Detailed information is provided to new employees upon hiring.
The annual Edmonds CC holiday schedule provides ten (10) paid holidays for full-time employees as well as one additional personal holiday* per calendar year.
- Exempt: Exempt employees accrue 16 hours per month (or prorated equivalent for less than full-time permanent employees)**. There is no waiting period to use vacation. Consult HR procedure 5.05pr, section 1.e. for information on vacation leave maximum accrual amounts.
- Classified: Classified employees should review the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for accrual rate and maximum. There is no waiting period to use vacation. Consult article 12.13 in the CBA for information on vacation leave maximum accrual amounts.
- Sick leave accrues at a rate of eight (8) hours per month for full-time exempt and classified employees, and full-time faculty. (Accrual is prorated for less than full-time permanent employees.)**
- Associate faculty accrue compensable sick leave at a rate of FTEF X eight (8) hours/month.
- Employees can use sick leave as it accrues but may not use leave prior to accrual. Examples of appropriate sick leave use include illness, disability, injury, serious medical emergency of family member, and medical/dental appointments. Additional details can be found in the appropriate CBA or HR procedures.
- Effective January 1, 2018, part-time hourly and student employees will accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked. See HR procedure 5.08 for additional information on non-permanent (hourly) employee sick leave.
- Classified employees may choose two (2) workdays as personal leave days each fiscal year during the life of the current CBA (ending June 30, 2019) if the employee has been continuously employed by the college/district for more than four (4) months.
- Full-time faculty earn two (2) additional personal holidays per academic year (July-June), per the terms of Article VI of the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
Full-time employees can obtain sick or vacation leave donations from other employees of the college if they are entirely out of leave and have a qualifying medical condition. An employee can donate any sick leave above a 176 hour minimum balance, or vacation leave above an 80 hour minimum balance. See HR procedure 5.06 for additional information.
Federal law entitles full-time employees up to twelve (12) weeks of paid or unpaid leave with paid health insurance benefits. The employee must obtain required medical certification to be eligible. They must have been employed at least twelve (12) months and have worked 1,250 hours to qualify. The qualifying events are: an employee’s serious health condition; care for a parent, child, or spouse with serious health condition; care of a member of the armed services returning from a war engagement zone; and care for newborn, adopted, or foster child(ren).
Other Miscellaneous Leave
Other types of leave include civil duty leave (jury), child care emergencies, parental leave, military leave, bereavement leave, and leave without pay (LWOP).
Exempt employees can use accrued sick leave, vacation leave, or leave without pay for child or parental care or bereavement, and professional leave (study, research, civic opportunities). Exempt employees may also use up to five (5) days of study leave each calendar year (January-December) after 2 years of continuous exempt employment. Unused study leave does not carry forward from year to year.
Classified employees, see Articles 12 and 18 of the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for specific details on these leave types.
*Personal days must be used as one full working day. The pay for an employee’s personal day is equal to the scheduled work shift on the day the holiday is taken. Personal days cannot be used partially over the course of a year.
**Leave accrual for exempt and classified employees is based on a percentage of a full-time work schedule. Employees who work full-time (100%), accrue eight (8) hours per month. Employees who work an 80% schedule would accrue 6.40 hours per month. The formula for leave accrual: 8 x FT% = monthly accrual hours.